Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57 - Initial Thoughts on Prom

When the prom script was broken down in class today, it became clear that prom is a ritual that comes with a subconscious outline. Every prom experience I've seen on television or movies all stay true to the same chain of events no matter how individual they try to make it. It makes me wonder why we choose to accept this blueprint as the way of having a successful prom. It's like a game where life points are earned each step you get right. And if this outline is performed right then we have successfully lived on the ritual and we can move on with our lives more fulfilled and experienced. It seems like the prom's goal is trying to cram a bunch of adult experiences (at least the good ones) into one night so we have a taste of what we are getting ourselves into.

One thing I've always found questionable about prom is the announcement of prom King and Queen. I'm not completely against the idea, I just think its strange that on the night where everyone is supposed to feel special, the aspects of high school still prevail and the popular or most liked win. The idea of voting on one person to represent or rule the night of equality and togetherness makes no sense to me.  I wonder if SOF does this at our proms because I've never heard of anyone being prom king or queen, but I also didn't know the higher grades that well to know what was going on with their proms. I hope not though because our school is so small that the "winners" would be so predictable and it would give everyone less chance to prove themselves worthy of the role (as I typed out the last few words of that sentence I began to cringe because I realized I was taking a dumb role so seriously.)

Further Questions:
- Do they have proms anywhere else other than America?
- What importance does it have on our culture?
-What are some examples of alternative proms?
- What are the key components of a successful prom experience?
- How do we ensure that everyone feels good at prom? What do teachers and volunteer organizers do to make this happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment