Monday, May 9, 2011

HW 53 - Independent Research A


Into the Great Green Beyond by John Collins Rudolf

Précis: The market of environmentally conscious consumers has risen dramatically in the last decade and the option to die in a "green" way has just been presented. Because this is such a new option, many people who would be interested in the idea of an eco-friendly funeral do not know it is a possibility. Traditional funerals include non-biodegradable caskets containing embalmed bodies filled with toxic chemicals. This means that this commonly used style of funeral leaves a huge impact on the Earth. Alternatives such as biodegradable urns and caskets made of renewable sources are becoming appraised. These choices are still very rare in America though, so if you were interested in them you would have to plan ahead of time.

Analysis: This relates to the last third of my book "Curtains" by Tom Jokinen where he acknowledges the few places that do offer eco-friendly funeral options in this country. I believe that the objective of this article is just to raise awareness about this topic to attract this specific market. I consider this a positive move because people should be aware of their options before making a choice, especially if the options they are unaware about match their values the most. I wonder if this article will cause the topic to be more discussed in mainstream media and create a more public discourse about the topic.

I wonder if changing these aspects of a "traditional" funeral also changes the emotional and spiritual aspects of the ceremony. Choices are obviously made based on your own principles, but I wonder if eco-friendly burials add or take away any feelings that would occur in a commonly practiced burial. It may seem more ideal for one person to degrade and become one with nature while another person favors the idea of permanently staying on this earth. What does it say about American culture if the majority of us gets buried in steel caskets, get embalmed and have concrete support in burial our plots? Do we strive for permanence?

Citation: Rudolf, John C. "Into the Great Green Beyond." Nytimes.com. New York Times, 30 June 2010. Web. 09 May 2011. <http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/into-the-big-green-beyond/?scp=5&sq=embalming&st=cse>.

Thinking Outside The Urn by Roxana Popescu

Précis: Turning your loved ones ashes into artwork is a new trend where a teaspoon of ashes can transform into paintings, sculptures, jewelry, etc. It is a great way to express the spirit of the person through art that conveys specific emotions. Cremation is rising as a more popular funeral option, but not everyone wants their loved ones displayed in a classic urn. People want more personalized ways to hold their loved ones ashes, thus came this amazing alternative.

Analysis: This article grasped my interest because it was a topic that I've recently been considering. The article referenced a link to the "Art in Ashes" website which displayed all their artistic option for possessing ashes. I personally thought they had very beautiful options but it disappointed me that they were not customizable. I'd rather design/ create my own art-urn or have a loved one the same than be carried in eternity in something that doesn't project my essence. Are there more services where that option is available? How many people are aware of this option in America?

Citation: Popescu, Roxana. "Keepsakes From Loved Ones Ashes - Newsweek." Newsweek - National News, World News, Business, Health, Technology, Entertainment, and More - Newsweek. The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC, 03 Nov. 2007. Web. 10 May 2011. <http://www.newsweek.com/2007/11/03/thinking-outside-the-urn.html>.

_________________________________________________________________

Interview Précis (in the view of the undertaker):  This line of work is something I was born into. My Grandfather owned this place, then my father inherited it, and so did I. I know all of the common practices by observing my father; I was also interested in biology growing up and part of my job is being a scientist. Overall, the most important skill in my job is comforting the living, "the dead are in God's hands." I like the fact that my job offers a steady supply of costumers but I dislike all of the prejudice I receive. "Necrophiliacs or unduly morbid folks are rare in this profession." And we are not swindlers either. I separate my private life and my line of business, though sometimes I feel disappointed when handling suicides. It's a shame to see how many people don't value their lives. Funerals should cost as much as a wedding does because they are somewhat similar events. People expect funerals to cost around a months pay, but when all the costs are factored in, the average price is closer to a years pay. When I was younger I thought this was a huge waste of money but now I see how it helps others appreciate their loved ones.

Analysis:  When he first said that his least favorite part of his job was the judgments people made about him because of it, I thought that was very self-ish of him. Learning in class about how funeral homes are profiting off of people's grief and guilt, I thought it was strange that he was talking about how much he gets judged. After I asked him to clarify on what prejudice he receives made his point all the more valid. I have actually heard of those same rumors and generalizations from various sources like TV shows, and even in normal conversation. I believe this has more to do with people's prejudice against the dead than it does actual morticians. People just can't grasp anyone who chooses to be around dead people for a living. It is more comforting for the majority to keep life and death separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment