Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hw 7d- Reading Response

Chapter 17-
The reason behind the increase of vegetarianism is due to more and more people who are discontent with animal treatment and slaughtering of animals. People argue that cruelty to animals is just as bad as cruelty to humans and in a society where people are more open minded about equality, this might actually the case. I became a vegetarian myself to gain perspective on the issue and not have a biased point of view.


Gems-
 "The industrial animal factory offers a nightmarish glimpse of what capitalism is capable of in the absence of any moral or regulatory constraint whatsoever." (Pollan 318)
"Vegetarianism doesn't seem an unreasonable response to the existence of such an evil" (Pollan 319)


My thoughts- 
Many vegetarians believe that cruelty to animals is just as harmful as cruelty to humans. The thing that separates us the most is our language beerier but just because an animal cannot communicate their feelings to us does not mean that those feelings do not exist. We both have the ability to feel pain and are inclined to avoid it. I understand all of this but I do not agree that humans and animals should be considered as equals. I am a meat-eater and I believe that slaughtering animals for food is justified if the animals were raised freely and naturally which is an opinion shared by the author.


Chapter 18-
My first experience hunting by myself put me in an altered state where I was very alert and aware of my surroundings which grew my respect for nature and the animals I was hunting. I then went hunting with Angelo and his three friends and there I was more successful. The first opportunity I had I took advantage of. I shoot a pig and the first time I missed but that was due to my lack of experience with firearms. On my second try, I killed the pig which led to the next step of "dressing" the pig which I found very disturbing.


Gems-
"If for me this venture was about taking ultimate responsibility for the animals I eat, their deaths included, well, I hadn’t done that yet, had I?” (Pollan 349)
" The one emotion I expected to feel but did not, inexplicably, was remorse, or even ambivalence. All that would come later, but now, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, I felt absolutely terrific."(Pollan 353)



My thoughts-
I believe that hunting should not receive as much disrespect because it removes the shield made by corporations to hide where our meat comes from. Meat has been slaughtered one way or another and I don't think hunters should be looked down upon for mimicking the actions of people before agriculture was popularized. Meat eaters would rather not think about the the death of the animals they are eating because it makes them feel vicious. To refer to the quote summarizing Pollan's initial reaction to hunting, I believe the reason why he felt "terrific" afterword was due to humans instinctively being hunter gatherers. Therefore, our minds are programed to feel accomplished when  we capture prey



Chapter 19-
Mushrooms are a very strange and unpredictable organism so you could imagine the anxiety I had while foraging for them myself. The fungi varies from poisonous to hallucinogenic and they are easily concealed in their natural habitat of the forest. Although mushrooms are such an erratic growth, they are still popular and are one of the only food products that are still grown naturally in the mainstream food industry.

Gems-
“The field guides contain our culture’s accumulated wisdom on the subject of mushrooms. Curiously, though, the process of imparting and absorbing this life-and-death information works much better in person than it does on paper, whether through writing or even photography.”(Pollan 372)
"It was such a feeling of empowerment, to feed yourself by figuring out the puzzle of nature" (Pollan 380)

My thoughts-
Its good that there are some foods that I could eat without worrying about corruption of the food industry. It makes me wonder though. Why not try and industrialize mushrooms too? I'm sure some do, but if most food cooperation's found it unnecessary then why not do this with other products?


Chapter 20-
I set a goal to prepare the ideal meal, including meat, vegetables, and fungi, for my 10 additional friends and I.  I made a list of rigorous rules that I had to follow in making this meal, which I either ended up breaking or feeling large amounts of pressure from the tedious and even life threatening work. So I asked myself, why am I putting myself through so much to make this meal and why was I so ambitious? I started to realize that the meal I was making meant more than I thought it had; it was actually my token of appreciation to all of those who educated me about my food ways. The more effort I put into making the food the more it will mean to the people I eat it with.


Gems-
"No, little if anything about this meal was what anyone would call 'realistic'. And yet no meal I've ever prepared or eaten has been more real" (Pollan 392).
"It's impossible to prepare and eat a meal quite so physically, intellectually, and emotionally costly without thinking about the incalculably larger debts we incur when we eat industrially"(Pollan 410)


My thoughts- I really respect Pollanthan they would if they were just ordered in. The food has more purpose that way and has a spiritual connection as well. Eating food surrounded by the people you love the most sends positive vibes throughout. For example, my grandmother's Christmas ham tasted a lot better when I ate it on Christmas night with my family than it did the next afternoon for lunch by myself. 

1 comment:

  1. Amhara,

    Strong work on this blog. Each precis sounds almost like Pollan could have written it - the gems and responses provoke thought.

    To improve, add another draft where you try to take one or two ideas per post and go to a deeper level of insight - surprising or profound realizations and connections.

    ReplyDelete