Friday, December 10, 2010

Comment on Amber S.' "HW 21 - Expert #1" post

My favorite point that you made was how we use religion to help us deal with death and dying because it gives a clear answer and makes our deaths significant. As you said, "We don't want to believe the bleak, depressing reality of just laying 6 feet under when we die, as the idea of sitting a fluffy white cloud in heaven with everything we could ever want sounds so much better." I can personally relate to this having been raised with a religious background. I recall having a conversation about death with my grandmother after telling her I had a recurring dream of her dying. These dreams put me in instant tears every time I had them, especially because they seemed so vivid and real, but when I discussed them with my grandmother, her reaction shocked me. She told me never to worry or be upset when she died because she knew she was headed to a better place. It was weird because she actually seemed excited about her own death, and she is very accepting of death in general. To be honest, when she told me this it did make me feel a lot better knowing my grandmother had a reserved spot for her in heaven. But unfortunately, I am very loosely religious, so I too question whether or not I use the idea of heaven as a crutch.

I'd like to point out that the amount of insight you put into this post went above and beyond the requirements and it proves how important this topic this is to you. It also shows the vast amount of ideas you have on the topic. I also want to say that your use of language is exquisite and that you have a very good sense of language beautification.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post I think that the writing is very thoughtful and thought evoking. (sorry it took me so long to comment my computer was wigging out)

    ReplyDelete