Wednesday, March 2, 2011

HW 36 comments

Comments received:

Chris(group member):
WELL,
Before I say your best line and how you can improve, Ill say something I liked about the entire assignment, you started to build off ideas and you basically answered the last part of the blog that you did in blog three times. After every story you talked about how it changed your mind and how it made you realize some things. You started to mention some things about how you had some questions and wanted to look into things after the story. Personally I think your best story was your first one but i think you could have analyzed this more. Because you probably know this story I think you analyzed it less and this shows because in your story about the inducing of birth, you say you didn't know a lot about it and you analyzed that the best in my mind. I think thats how you can improve, you started out alright and ended great so if you could start off as great as you ended you would have a even better post. Heres the line I liked the most "Before this, I had no clue that doctor's inducing birth was something standard. I began to wonder how the drugs and gels given by doctors affected the children, and if they were more affective than any natural alternatives" it shows curiosity and willingness to grow.

Sophia(group member):

First off, this was my favorite line from the interviews:

A- "Did you receive any pain relievers?"
F- "No, this wasn't America" {Laughs}

I really liked the whole first interview, because it was interesting, as you said, to hear about how birth happens in other countries (like how there are maternity homes instead of hospitals).

You also built off your previous ideas after each interview, and you brought up many different topics: natural vs. induced labor, whether the father should be there for the birth, and why birth makes people uncomfortable.

I also didn't know until recently how common it is now for labor to be induced by a doctor; I've heard this isn't very good for the mother or the baby.

All in all, I thought your post was well done and organized. I also liked this line of yours: "It was also interesting to see how these two different parts of the birth process were connected to one another. It makes me imagine the process as a game board where your path is altered depending on where you move."

Brianna (protege):

I think that you did a very good job of analyzing the interviews. You seemed to build off ideas mentioned in the first interview. You also sound really interested in what you are writing. My favorite line was "This interview geared me in a new direction in thought that I hadn't really considered before, which was the difference in birth experience depending on the country your in". I thought that it showed how you were learning new things during the interview. I thikn that you could analyze the first interview a little more thouroughly. It seems the be the most informative so if you analyzed it some more there would be more comparisions to make, points to argue , etc. 

Marcus (mentor):

its interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences in the birth experience depending on the country you're in. your grandmothers experience in a third world country does sound interesting and unlike most of the stories we are used to hearing. that being said i also think that within each country there are also many different experiences. i am not sure if maternity homes are used as widely by women in the u.s. but people also give birth in hospitals in Jamaica. i think that something to consider is not only seeing the differences but also the fact that in any culture there will always be alternative ways of going about things.
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Comments Given:


to Chirs:
I liked how you started this assignment with an idea/ theme in mind because it shows how much thought you put into your objectives before you actually perform them. Plus it was a pretty cool idea to compare birth stories from different time periods. I thought the most interesting part of this post was comparing the male counterparts participation of the sisters birth process. I could see you were on the brink of asking a very insightful question which is " how involved is too much and how involved is not enough?". Another question you could have asked yourself to take your thought process further is: why did the woman in the first interview think it was strange that her male counterpart was so involved?- those questions would have led you to a lot of good points and thoughts.


to Sophia:


I thought it was smart of you to explain the physical and mental effects DURING a pregnancy, which is something I didn't really have in mind going into this assignment. Its important to explain those specific things because in our culture there are many assumptions and stereotypes of women while pregnant. It was also interesting for you to talk about how other people treated her during the pregnancy because that is also definitely a factor.

I believe that your best thought was:
"
I thought it was interesting how her friend's death made her want to have another child. "

because you were touching on the big idea of what motivates people to have children! and this is a very unique and beautiful example of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment