Tuesday, November 23, 2010

HW 17 - First Thoughts on the Illness & Dying Unit

I have very little personal experience with illness and dying because my family and I have always been healthy. I've only been to the hospital once apart from when I was born, and that was because I had a minor ear infection. No one I've been really close to has died, which makes me feel lucky but I know that when this occurs it will only hurt me more because I'd be closer to them. I have friends who have had their close relatives die and it seemed to have really upset them and although I had empathy, I couldn't imagine what was going through their heads and how they were able to handle it.

Illness and Dying on a personal level is a topic that is avoided because no one want to think about themselves or their loved ones being sick or dead. On the other hand, causes of illness and death are popular topics because everyone wants to avoid them to live longer. I believe our society views illness and death a negative topic when they are actually pretty inevitable. The norm is to send someone to the hospital when they are sick or dying because there are trained professionals waiting to help them.

This topic raises a lot of questions for me and makes me wonder why everyone doesn't have the basic knowledge of taking care of an ill person because it seems to be a crucial skill. Also, if everyone different, how effective is it to have general idea of how to heal them. How often does a doctors treatment actually do the patient more harm?

No comments:

Post a Comment